What Is Compliance And What Am I Required To Do When Returning The Vehicle?
If an arbitration decision awards repurchase or replacement of a defective vehicle, compliance with the decision occurs at a time, place and in a manner that is mutually agreeable to the you and the manufacturer.
You must return the vehicle free of damage; a consumer is not responsible for problems related to `wear and tear` from ordinary or expected use of the vehicle or damage related to defects covered by the warranty.
If the vehicle has been damaged due to fire, theft, vandalism, or collision (e.g., a dented fender from an accident or a broken/cracked windshield), the consumer has the option of having the vehicle repaired or transferring any insurance claim/insurance settlement to the manufacturer.
When returning a vehicle to the manufacturer, you cannot remove any equipment or options from the vehicle that were included in the purchase or lease. If you added features after buying or leasing the vehicle (e.g. car telephone or a canopy for a truck), those items may be removed while avoiding further damage, but you are not required to return the vehicle to original condition.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Is The Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Not Covered Under Lemon Law?
- What Is A Lemon?
- What Is The Warranty Period?
- I Have A Lemon. What Should I Do?
- What Information Needs To Be Included On The Request For Arbitration Form?
- What Is An Arbitration Hearing?
- Scheduling An Arbitration Hearing
- Who Will Attend The Arbitration Hearing?
- What Must I Prove At The Arbitration Hearing?
- What Records Do I Need For Arbitration?
- How Can I Get Missing Documents?
- Do I Need An Attorney?
- What Happens After I Request An Arbitration Hearing?
- What Is The Manufacturer's Statement?
- What Is The Manufacturer's Right To View The Vehicle?
- What If My Claim Is Resolved Before The Hearing?
- When Does The Arbitration Decision Take Place?
- Replacement Or Repurchase?
- What If I Am Awarded A Replacement?
- What If I Am Awarded A Repurchase?
- What Is An Offset For Use?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The Lemon Law And Obtain Request For Arbitration Forms?
- Where Can I Get Lemon Law Arbitration Videos And Tapes?