What Is A Lemon?
- Diagnosis or repair of the same serious safety defect has been attempted two or more times, and the defect continues to exist. At least one attempt must occur during the warranty period.
- A serious safety defect is a lifethreatening malfunction that impairs the driver`s ability to control or operate the vehicle, or creates a risk of fire or explosion; OR
- Diagnosis or repair of the same nonconformity has been attempted four or more times, and the defect continues to exist. At least one attempt must occur during the warranty period.
- A nonconformity is a defect that substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the motor vehicle so as to make the vehicle unreliable, unsafe or diminished in resale value for comparable vehicles; OR
- A vehicle has been outofservice for diagnosis or repair of one or more nonconformities or serious safety defects (whether or not repaired) for a cumulative total of 30 calendar days, with at least 15 of those days occurring during the warranty period.
At the arbitration hearing, the arbitrator will ask you which of the above criteria applies to your vehicle. You can claim one or more of the criteria listed above as long as you can prove to the arbitrator that they apply to the defect(s) in your vehicle.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Is The Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Not Covered Under Lemon Law?
- What Is The Warranty Period?
- I Have A Lemon. What Should I Do?
- What Information Needs To Be Included On The Request For Arbitration Form?
- What Is An Arbitration Hearing?
- Scheduling An Arbitration Hearing
- Who Will Attend The Arbitration Hearing?
- What Must I Prove At The Arbitration Hearing?
- What Records Do I Need For Arbitration?
- How Can I Get Missing Documents?
- Do I Need An Attorney?
- What Happens After I Request An Arbitration Hearing?
- What Is The Manufacturer's Statement?
- What Is The Manufacturer's Right To View The Vehicle?
- What If My Claim Is Resolved Before The Hearing?
- When Does The Arbitration Decision Take Place?
- Replacement Or Repurchase?
- What If I Am Awarded A Replacement?
- What If I Am Awarded A Repurchase?
- What Is An Offset For Use?
- What Is Compliance And What Am I Required To Do When Returning The Vehicle?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The Lemon Law And Obtain Request For Arbitration Forms?
- Where Can I Get Lemon Law Arbitration Videos And Tapes?