I Have A Lemon. What Should I Do?
- Gather all your documents, records, and repair reports and organize them. Evaluate how your vehicle qualifies as a lemon based on your records.
- Write to the manufacturer requesting the repurchase or replacement of your vehicle. To locate the manufacturer`s address look in your owner`s manual, ask the dealership, or contact the Lemon Law Administration.
The written request to the manufacturer should include:
- Make, Model, Year, and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN);
- An explanation of the problem(s);
- Name(s) of dealership(s) where diagnosis/repair attempts have been made, including dates of attempts;
- You must request replacement or repurchase of the motor vehicle.
You should send the letter to the manufacturer by certified mail with a return receipt requested. This will verify the date that the manufacturer received your letter. KEEP A COPY OF YOUR LETTER AND YOUR RETURN RECEIPT IN YOUR RECORDS.
- The manufacturer should be allowed 40 days to respond in most instances (see Note below). If the manufacturer does not respond or if the response is unsatisfactory, you can submit the Request For Arbitration form to the Lemon Law Administration in the Attorney General`s Office.
Note: A Request For Arbitration Form must be received by the Lemon Law Administration within 30 months of the vehicles` original retail delivery date whether or not the 40 day response period has expired.
- Call 8005418898 or 8002769883 for the hearing impaired to get a Request for Arbitration form.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Is The Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Not Covered Under Lemon Law?
- What Is A Lemon?
- What Is The Warranty Period?
- What Information Needs To Be Included On The Request For Arbitration Form?
- What Is An Arbitration Hearing?
- Scheduling An Arbitration Hearing
- Who Will Attend The Arbitration Hearing?
- What Must I Prove At The Arbitration Hearing?
- What Records Do I Need For Arbitration?
- How Can I Get Missing Documents?
- Do I Need An Attorney?
- What Happens After I Request An Arbitration Hearing?
- What Is The Manufacturer's Statement?
- What Is The Manufacturer's Right To View The Vehicle?
- What If My Claim Is Resolved Before The Hearing?
- When Does The Arbitration Decision Take Place?
- Replacement Or Repurchase?
- What If I Am Awarded A Replacement?
- What If I Am Awarded A Repurchase?
- What Is An Offset For Use?
- What Is Compliance And What Am I Required To Do When Returning The Vehicle?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The Lemon Law And Obtain Request For Arbitration Forms?
- Where Can I Get Lemon Law Arbitration Videos And Tapes?