What If The Board Determines That My Vehicle Is A Lemon?
- A new motor vehicle from the same manufacturer, of comparable worth to the same make and model with all options and accessories, with appropriate adjustments for any model year differences.
- A refund of the full purchase price and all credits and allowances for any tradein or down payment, license fees, finance charges, credit charges, registration fees, and any similar charges and incidental and consequential damages. However, an amount is withheld from the refund of the purchase price for use of the vehicle prior to the first repair attempt and is calculated as a fraction of 100,000 miles. (For example, if you drove the car 10,000 miles before the first repair attempt, the allowance for use would be:
- 10,000 = 1 = 10%
In this example, you would be refunded 90% of the purchase price.)
- You may also recover the same proportionate amount of your purchase and use tax by filing a claim with the commissioner of motor vehicles (90% in the example given).
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Is A Lemon Under The Law?
- What Is A Reasonable Number Of Attempts?
- Is The Dealer Required To Give Me A Repair Order?
- Is It Possible To File With Fewer Than Three Repair Attempts Or 30 Days Out Of Service?
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- Does The Law Apply To All Defects?
- Do The 30 Days Out Of Service Have To Be Consecutive?
- Must The Defect Be Present When I File A Claim?
- What Is The Procedure For Filing A Claim?
- What Am I Credited If I Am Leasing The Vehicle That Is Determined To Be A Lemon?
- What Can I Do If I Am Not Satisfied With The Board's Decision?
- Where Can I File A Claim Or Get Additional Information About Eligibility?
- Where Can I Get Information About Car Buying And Car Repair Issues In General?