What's Next?

If your vehicle meets all of the criteria, your next step is to file a complaint with the Division of Consumer Protection in the Department of Commerce.

The complaint must furnish two signed and notarized affidavits from two different certified mechanics that have witnessed the mechanical problems or defects.

After your vehicle is determined to be a lemon by the Division, you qualify for either a replacement or a cash refund. The manufacturer has the right to charge you a reasonable amount for use of the vehicle, usually 10 to 23 cents per mile. You can have the Division try to obtain restitution for you or you can take private action with your own attorney.

Contact the Division at

    ivision of Consumer Protection
    Utah Department of Commerce
    Heber M. Wells Building
    160 East 300 South
    P. O. Box 45802
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84145­0802
    (801) 530­6601

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Lemon Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Lemon Law Resources