What Are The Possible Outcomes?
In the case of a refund, the manufacturer is entitled to deduct a reasonable allowance for vehicle use, computed based on the number of miles driven since the date of delivery. After this deduction, you are entitled to receive the full purchase price as well as, but not limited to, the following: credits and allowances for any tradein vehicles; costs of any options and other modifications added by the manufacturer within 30 days after the original delivery date; cost of sales taxes, license and registration fees, and finance charges; towing; cost of vehicle repairs paid for by you; charges for renting a similar vehicle while the original vehicle was out of service because of the defect; and the Lemon Law filing fee.
If the following conditions prevail, you are not eligible for legal remedy under the Lemon Law:
- The manufacturer proves that it has not had a reasonable opportunity to repair your car. For example, they prove that the number of repair attempts was not reasonable because you did not follow the terms of the warranty or some event (such as a labor strike, war, or natural disaster) prevented timely repairs.
- If the manufacturer proves that no problem exists or that the problem does not substantially impair the vehicle`s use, value, or safety.
- If the defect was the result of abuse, neglect, unauthorized alterations or modifications, or an accident.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Are The Possible Outcomes?
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Is The Lemon Law Term Of Protection?
- What Types Of Defects Are Covered?
- What Do I Need To Do Before I Can Claim That My Car Is A Lemon?
- What If My Problem Does Not Fit The Requirements Of My State's Lemon Law?
- What Are My Options For Action Under The Lemon Law?
- Does The Manufacturer Have To Tell Potential Purchasers Of The Car That It Was Deemed A Lemon?
- Does My State Have A Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Types Of Vehicles Are Covered Under The Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Types Of Defects Are Covered Under The Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Is The Used Car Lemon Law Term Of Protection?
- What Do I Need To Do Before I Can Claim That My Newly Purchased Used Car Is A Lemon?
- What Are My Options For Action Under The Used Car Lemon Law?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The New And Used Car Lemon Laws?