What Do I Need To Do Before I Can Claim That My Car Is A Lemon?
- The vehicle must have been taken in for a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defect(s). Under the following circumstances, your vehicle would be considered a lemon under Oklahoma Lemon Law:
- You have taken the car in for repairs at least four times for the same defect, and the defect continues to exist;
- Or, if the car has been out of service for a cumulative total of 45 or more calendar days, while being repaired for any number of defects, and the defect continues to exist. This 45day period may be extended by any amount of time during which repair services are unavailable due to war, strike, or natural disaster.
Your claim will be made easier if you have documentation (repair orders) proving four repair attempts or 45 days out of service.
After you have exhausted the above possibilities, you must providepreferably by certified mail, return receipt requestedwritten notification to the manufacturer of the defect, giving the manufacturer a final opportunity to repair it. In this notice, be sure to include your name, address, daytime phone number and evening phone number; a description of the problem and repair history; as well as the vehicle`s year, make, model, and vehicle ID number (VIN).
Be sure to keep a copy of this letter for your records.
The manufacturer is then required to make one final attempt to repair the defect to your satisfaction.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Not Covered?
- For How Long And For How Many Miles Does The Lemon Law Provide Protection?
- What Types Of Defects Are Covered?
- What Types Of Defects Are Not Covered?
- Does The State Have A Used Car Lemon Law?
- What If My Problem Does Not Fit The Requirements Of My State's Lemon Law?
- What Are My Options For Action Under The Lemon Law?
- What Are The Possible Outcomes?
- Does The Manufacturer Have To Tell Potential Purchasers Of The Car That It Was Deemed A Lemon?
- Whom Do I Contact For Help Or If I Have Questions About The Lemon Law?