What Are My Options For Action Under The Lemon Law?

If the manufacturer either fails to make a final attempt to repair the defect, or if the defect still exists after such an attempt, you can try to get a replacement vehicle or a refund using the following options:
    Manufacturer`s Arbitration Program: Although you are permitted to file a lawsuit under the Lemon Law, you must first submit your claim to the manufacturer`s arbitration program, if the program complies with federal requirements.

    Arbitration, also known as informal dispute settlement, is an informal process that consumers may use to obtain speedy resolution of a warranty dispute without having to go to court, and it is legally binding on the manufacturer only. At an arbitration hearing, the seller and buyer testify before an arbitrator about the condition of the vehicle.

    You can find out if the manufacturer of your vehicle sponsors an arbitration program that is certified in the state of Oklahoma by reading the information accompanying your warranties, by asking your local dealer or zone representative or by contacting the Oklahoma Office of the Attorney General.

    If you use an arbitration program, you are not bound by the decision reached through this program, which means that if you are not satisfied with the decision, you may appeal it in court.

    Court Action: If you have met the requirements listed above, and if you reject the manufacturer`s dispute resolution program`s decision(s), your other option is going to court.

    If you are seeking court action, you should consult with an attorney; you may find referrals for attorneys who specialize in Lemon Law cases by contacting the Oklahoma State Bar Association.

    However, the law provides no provision requiring the manufacturer to reimburse your attorney`s fees.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Lemon Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Lemon Law Resources