What Do I Need To Do Before I Can Claim That My Newly Purchased Used Car Is A Lemon?
If you provide such notification within the used car warranty period, the dealer must make the repair even if the warranty has subsequently expired.
If the vehicle is financed or leased, you should continue to make your monthly payments unless otherwise advised by an attorney.
The used car warranty is extended for each day that the vehicle is in the shop for repairs.
The vehicle must have been taken in to the manufacturer or authorized dealer for a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defect(s). It is already presumed that your vehicle has undergone a reasonable number of attempts in the following situations:
- If you have taken the car in for at least three repair attempts for the same defect, and the defect continues to exist;
- Or, if the car has been out of service for a cumulative total of 15 or more calendar days, while being repaired for any number of defects, and the defect continues to exist. The 15day period may be extended by any amount of time during which repair services are unavailable due to war, strike, or natural disaster.
If the dealer fails to repair the problem after step two has been exhausted, and if the problem substantially impairs the value of the used vehicle, the dealer is required to accept the return of the vehicle and refund the full purchase price.
Speak to an Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified lemon lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local lemon attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Is The New Car Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The New Car Lemon Law?
- What Is The New Car Lemon Law Term Of Protection?
- What Types Of Defects Are Covered?
- What If My Problem Does Not Fit The Requirements Of My State's Lemon Law?
- I Think I Have A Lemon. What Should I Do?
- What Are My Options?
- I'm Still Not Satisified. What's Next?
- Does The State Of New York Have A Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Types Of Vehicles Are Covered Under The Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Types Of Vehicles Are Not Covered Under The Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Types Of Defects Are Covered Under The Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Is The Used Car Lemon Law Term Of Protection?
- What Are My Options For Action Under The Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Are The Possible Outcomes?
- Does A Used Car Dealer Have To Tell Potential Purchasers Or Lessors Of The Vehicle That It Was Returned As A Lemon?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The New And Used Car Lemon Law?