What Are The Possible Outcomes?
The dealer is permitted to offer you a replacement vehicle instead of a refund, but you have the option of accepting or declining a replacement and demanding a refund instead.
In a refund, the manufacturer is entitled to deduct a reasonable allowance for any damage beyond normal wear or use, or for any modifications made to the vehicle which either increase or decrease its market value. There is no deduction for mileage.
After this reasonable allowance, you will be refunded the full purchase price as well as state and local sales taxes from New York State.
If the car was financed, the refund is divided between you and the lender, according to how much you still owe; if the car was leased, the refund consists of all payments that you had made to date.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Is The New Car Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The New Car Lemon Law?
- What Is The New Car Lemon Law Term Of Protection?
- What Types Of Defects Are Covered?
- What If My Problem Does Not Fit The Requirements Of My State's Lemon Law?
- I Think I Have A Lemon. What Should I Do?
- What Are My Options?
- I'm Still Not Satisified. What's Next?
- Does The State Of New York Have A Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Types Of Vehicles Are Covered Under The Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Types Of Vehicles Are Not Covered Under The Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Types Of Defects Are Covered Under The Used Car Lemon Law?
- What Is The Used Car Lemon Law Term Of Protection?
- What Do I Need To Do Before I Can Claim That My Newly Purchased Used Car Is A Lemon?
- What Are My Options For Action Under The Used Car Lemon Law?
- Does A Used Car Dealer Have To Tell Potential Purchasers Or Lessors Of The Vehicle That It Was Returned As A Lemon?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The New And Used Car Lemon Law?