I Think I Have A Lemon. What Should I Do?

If you experience problems, you must report them to the manufacturer or authorized dealer who must correct them free of charge. If the same problem cannot be repaired after four or more attempts, or if your car is out of service for 30 or more days, you may be entitled to a new car or refund. Refunds are for the amount of purchase, plus license and registration fees, minus a mileage allowance if the vehicle has been driven more than 12,000 miles. All new car dealers are required by New York State to provide consumers, at the time of purchase or lease of a motor vehicle, with a copy of the new car lemon law.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Lemon Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Lemon Law Resources