What Is The Lemon Law And How Does It Work?
These laws apply to demonstrators or leasepurchase vehicles as long as a manufacturer`s warranty was issued as a condition of the sale. However, this Act does not apply to motorcycles or mopeds.
If a NEW vehicle does not conform to the express warranty, the consumer must report the defect(s) to the manufacturer or dealer within the warranty period or within 1 year from the time the consumer received the carwhichever period ends first. The manufacturer or dealer must then make whatever repairs are necessary to conform the vehicle to the warrantyeven if these repairs are made after the expiration of the warranty period or oneyear period. (The warranty period or the oneyear period may be extended if the defect has been reported but not repaired by the end of these periods.)
The consumer must IN WRITING notify the manufacturer about the defect. The manufacturer will then recommend a reasonably accessible repair facility. After the car has been delivered to the repair facility, the manufacturer will have 10 working days to repair the vehicle. If, after a reasonable number of attempts, a car cannot be repaired to conform to the warranty AND the car`s defects impair the use, market value, or safety of the car, the manufacturer (based on the consumer`s preference) shall EITHER:
- replace the car with a comparable motor vehicle acceptable to the consumer LESS a charge for the consumer`s use of the car [20 cents per mile]; OR
- take the car`s title from the consumer and refund the full purchase price (including all reasonably related outside costs) LESS a charge for the consumer`s use of the car [20 cents per mile].
Speak to an Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified lemon lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local lemon attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Is Not Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Is Considered A Reasonable Number Of Repair Attempts?
- I'm Still Not Satisfied. What Do I Do Next?
- What If I Decide To Sue? How Long Do I Have To Start My Lawsuit?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?