How Do I File A Lemon Law Complaint?
If your vehicle has been repaired 3 times for the same serious problem, or your vehicle has been out of service for 15 business days for repairs of one or more problems (does not have to be consecutive days), then:
- Obtain repair records from the dealer for each repair. All repairs on problems claimed to make your vehicle a Lemon must be done before 18,000 miles.
- Contact the State Lemon Law Arbitration Program for a Lemon Law Application and Final Opportunity to Repair Notice: Telephone (207) 6268848.
- Notify the manufacturer in writing by Certified (Return Receipt) mail that you are applying for Lemon law Arbitration and that you are giving the manufacturer a final opportunity to repair existing problems. A form letter for this purpose will be sent to you with the application.
- Allow the manufacturer at least 7 business days after receipt of your Final Opportunity to Repair letter to make the necessary repair. (You may withdraw your vehicle after this 7 day period has ended.)
- If the defect was not corrected by the final repair attempt, or if the defect recurs, complete and file your Lemon Law application before your vehicle is two years old and before the manufacturer`s warranty expires.
- You must prove to an arbitrator that:
- you reported the vehicle`s defect(s) to the manufacturer before its express warranty expired.
- the vehicle`s defect(s) is substantial and it impairs the vehicle`s use, safety or value.
- the vehicle`s defect(s) has not been repaired.
- the manufacturer has been given adequate opportunity to repair the vehicle.
- you gave the manufacturer a Final Opportunity to Repair.
The Maine Lemon Law allows consumers with a severely defective new vehicle to have their cases heard by a state arbitrator, free of charge. Hearings take place and a written decision is issued within 45 days of acceptance of the completed Lemon Law application. If the arbitrator finds in favor of the consumer, the consumer may received a replacement of the vehicle or refund (consumer`s option).
Speak to an Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified lemon lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local lemon attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Is The Maine Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Problems Are Not Covered By The Lemon Law?
- What Is The Lemon Law Term Of Protection?
- What Is Considered A Substantial Impairment?
- How Many Repair Attempts Must Be Made Before Your Vehicle Is Considered A Lemon?
- What Is The Final Opportunity To Repair Requirement?
- How Can I Prove My Vehicle Is A Lemon?
- Am I Only Entitled To A Replacement Vehicle?
- How Much Of A Refund Am I Entitled To?
- What Is Lemon Law Arbitration?
- Where Can I Get More Information?