What If I Still Am Not Satisfied?

If after taking these steps your complaint remains unsatisfied, you may file a lawsuit against the manufacturer under the Lemon Law. However, if the manufacturer has a certified dispute program, you must proceed through the program before filing suit. If the manufacturer`s program is not certified, you may still choose to submit your claim to the program and, possibly, avoid costly litigation. Click on the Manufacturers` National Offices and Dispute Resolution Programs listing for the addresses and telephone numbers of these offices and programs and a statement of whether the programs are currently certified.

You must file a lawsuit under the Lemon Law within one year following the expiration of the manufacturer`s express warranty, or one year following the first 24,000 miles attributed to a consumer, or one year following the first 24 months of ownership, whichever occurs first. To file a Lemon Law lawsuit, contact a private attorney.

You may have other legal recourse against the manufacturer, even if your vehicle does not qualify under the Lemon Law. Contact a private attorney for further information.

You may wish to contact the National Auto Safety Hotline at 1­800­424­9393, or www.nhtsa.dot.gov or contact the Center For Auto Safety at 202­328­7700 or www.autosafety.org to inquire if they have information about your particular type of vehicle.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Lemon Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Lemon Law Resources