What Are My Options For Action Under The Lemon Law?
- Manufacturer`s Arbitration Program: Although you may file a lawsuit under the Illinois Lemon Law, before you may do so the law requires that you utilize the dispute resolution procedure provided by the manufacturer, if the manufacturer provides you with notification that it offers one, and if the procedure is certified in the state of Illinois.
You can find out if your manufacturer sponsors a certified arbitration program by reading the information accompanying your warranties, asking your dealer for information, or contacting the Illinois Office of the Attorney General.
The decision of the arbitration program is binding on the manufacturer, but not on you; you may reject the decision and bring the case to court if you so choose.
Court Action: If you have met the Lemon Law requirements listed above and are not satisfied with results from the manufacturer`s arbitration program, or if the manufacturer does not have an arbitration program that is certified in Illinois, then you may go to court.
To find an attorney who specializes in the Lemon Law, contact the Illinois State Bar Association at 424 S. 2 Street, Springfield, IL 62701. Phone: 2175251760 or 8002528908 (from within IL only).
A lawsuit under the Lemon Law must be filed within 18 months from the date of delivery of your vehicle.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Is The Lemon Law Term Of Protection?
- What Types Of Defects Are Covered?
- What Do I Need To Do Before I Can Claim That My Car Is A Lemon?
- What If My Problem Does Not Fit The Requirements Of My State's Lemon Law?
- What Are The Possible Outcomes?
- Does The Manufacturer Have To Tell Potential Purchasers Of The Car That It Was Deemed A Lemon?
- Does The State Of Illinois Have A Used Car Lemon Law?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The Lemon Law?