Your vehicle may be covered if it is:
- a new car, including a demonstrator model. This also includes a car transferred to a second purchaser while the manufacturer`s written warranty is still in effect.
- purchased or leased in Hawaii
- used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes or individually registered but used for business purposes and for personal, family, or household purposes or owned or leased by a business which has purchased or leased no more than one car per year, used for household, individual, or personal use in addition to business use
Your vehicle is NOT covered if it is:
- a moped, motorcycle, or motor scooter
- a vehicle over 10,000 pounds, gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)*
* GVWR is the maximum loaded weight of the vehicle as specified by the manufacturer. The GVWR can be found on the sticker that is placed on the driver side door jamb. The GVWR is not the weight of the vehicle as stated on your registration.
The following table is a quick summary of what is covered, how many times the vehicle has to be repaired for the same defect and the warranty period.
|Vehicles Covered||Repair Interval and Coverage Period|
|A selfpropelled vehicle primarily designed for the transportation of persons or property over public streets and highways which is used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes. Does not include mopeds, motorcycles, or motor scooters, or vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVW.||1 repair attempt for a defect that might cause death or serious injury or 3 repair attempts or 30 business days out of service.|
|Warranty period: 2 years or 24,000 miles.|
|Note:||Generally, the term Repair Attempts, as it relates to Lemon Law, refers to one or more attempts to fix the same defect although some states consider a vehicle to be a lemon if it required the specified number of repairs within the coverage period.|
A car is out of service while being repaired or waiting for parts.
Warranty Period refers to the Manufacturer`s Express Warranty. Where the Coverage Period lists more than 1 option, the period applies to that option which occurs first.
This is only a summary, to get the complete Lemon Law Statute select your state from the combo box menu on the right side of this page, and click Get Statute.
Speak to an Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified lemon lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local lemon attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.