Is My Car A Lemon?
- it has a nonconformity (a defect, malfunction, or condition)
- the nonconformity is covered by the manufacturer`s express warranty
- the nonconformity SUBSTANTIALLY impairs the use, market value, or safety of the car
- the nonconformity is not the result of an accident, abuse, neglect, or alteration of the car by persons other than the manufacturer or its authorized dealer
- you tried to get the nonconformity repaired by the manufacturer`s authorized dealer during the Lemon Law Rights Period
- you sent written notification (preferably by certified mail, return receipt requested) to the manufacturer (not the dealer) of the nonconformity during the Lemon Law Rights Period*
- you gave the manufacturer or its authorized dealer a reasonable opportunity to repair the nonconformity during the Lemon Law Rights Period
- you filed a request for arbitration with the State Certified Arbitration Program within one year after the Lemon Law Rights Period expired
* If you did not receive a Lemon Law Statement of Rights from the dealership when you purchased the vehicle, you are not required to write to the manufacturer although it is a good idea to do so anyway. If you did not receive a Lemon Law Statement of Rights, include that information when you submit your paperwork for arbitration.
Speak to an Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified lemon lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local lemon attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- How Does The Lemon Law Work?
- Is My Vehicle Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- When Does The Lemon Law Rights Period Expire?
- Is My Car's Nonconformity A Substantial Impairment?
- How Many Repair Attempts Do I Have To Allow?
- What Should I Do If I Think I Qualify For Arbitration?
- Can I Settle My Case Without Going To Arbitration?
- How Should I Prepare For The Arbitration?
- Where Do I Go For The Lemon Law Arbitration Hearing?
- How Long Will The Hearing Take?
- What Happens At The Arbitration?
- How Do I Present My Case?
- What Do I Have To Prove To The Arbibrator?
- What Happens After The Arbitration?
- What If My Problem Does Not Fit The Requirements Of My State's Lemon Law?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The Lemon Law?