What Do I Need To Do Before I Can Claim That My Car Is A Lemon?
- The vehicle must have been taken in for a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defect(s). It is already presumed that your vehicle has undergone a reasonable number of attempts in the following situations:
- If you have taken the car in for at least four repair attempts for the same defect, and the defect continues to exist;
- Or, if the car has been out of service for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days, while being repaired for any number of defects, and the defect continues to exist. The 30day outofservice period may be extended for any amount of time during which repair services are not available to the you because of war, strike, or natural disaster;
- Or, if you think the defect is seriously jeopardizing your safety, then as little as one repair attempt may qualify you to use the Washington, D.C. Lemon Law.
By certified mail, return receipt requested, you must provide written notification of the defect to the manufacturer or authorized dealer. You should include the following information: your name, address, and contact information; a description of the defect and all attempts to correct the defect; a description of the vehicle, including year, make, and model; and a request for the manufacturer to replace or repurchase the vehicle.
Speak to an Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified lemon lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local lemon attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Is The Lemon Law Term Of Protection?
- What Types Of Defects Are Covered?
- What If My Problem Does Not Fit The Requirements Of My State's Lemon Law?
- What Are My Options For Action Under The Lemon Law?
- What Are The Possible Outcomes?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The Lemon Law?