What Are My Options For Action Under The Lemon Law?
- Arbitration :Arbitration is an informal process that consumers may use to obtain speedy resolution of a warranty dispute without having to go to court, and it is legally binding on the manufacturer only. At an arbitration hearing, the seller and buyer testify before an impartial arbitrator about the condition of the vehicle. There are two types of arbitration for new cars:
- Staterun arbitration: In order for you to seek a refund or replacement under the Lemon Law, AND before you may file a lawsuit against the manufacturer using the Lemon Law, you must use the state`s informal dispute settlement procedure, by taking the following steps:
Contact the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs to receive a claim form, which you need to complete and return to the Board of Consumer Claims Arbitration.
Within 5 days of receipt of your claim, the Board will notify you as to whether or not your claim qualifies for arbitration. If it does, they will also notify the manufacturer at this time.
The Board will then appoint a time and place for your hearingusually within 60 days of receipt of your claim. They will notify you of this date no less than five days ahead of time.
Although less formal than a court hearing, at the arbitration hearing you and the manufacturer will be able to present oral and written testimony, witnesses, and other evidence, as well as to crossexamine the opposing sides` witnesses. Both sides are entitled to be represented by attorneys.
After the Board`s decision on your case, either side does have the right to petition for an appeal.
- Manufacturrsponsored Arbitration: You can find out if the manufacturer of your vehicle sponsors an arbitration program by reading the information accompanying your warranties or by asking your dealer for information.
Court Action: If the state Board of Consumer Claims Arbitration rejects your case for arbitration, or if you reject the decision of the state or manufacturersponsored arbitration programs, your other option is going to court. If you do seek court action, you should consult an attorney.
Speak to an Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified lemon lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local lemon attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Is The Lemon Law Term Of Protection?
- What Types Of Defects Are Covered?
- What Do I Need To Do Before I Can Claim That My Car Is A Lemon?
- What If My Problem Does Not Fit The Requirements Of My State's Lemon Law?
- What Are The Possible Outcomes?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The Lemon Law?