How Can I Assert My Rights?
You will not have to pay any fee to use the settlement program. Usually, you submit your complaint in writing to the program with copies for your records. Generally, your case must be decided within 40 days after the time your complaint is received. You may accept or reject the program`s decision. If you accept, the manufacturer must also accept and has 30 days to comply. There is no appeal process for the manufacturer.
If you do not agree with the program`s decision, you can reject it and go to court to assert your right to a replacement, refund or other relief. If you go to court, the judge may consider the program`s decision in deciding your case.
You are required to use the informal dispute program only if you want to use the Lemon Law`s standard of reasonable attempts to repair. You may have other causes of action or rights outside of the Lemon Law. It is a good idea to consult an attorney regarding these options.
If you win in the Manufacturer`s Informal Dispute Procedure or if your win in court, you can receive the following:
- refund of vehicle purchase price or leasing costs, including sales tax
- manufacturer or dealer installed accessories
- finance charges (if any)
- reasonable attorney`s fees
- reasonable costs of a rental vehicle while your vehicle is out of service because of the defect
Speak to an Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified lemon lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local lemon attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- Who Is Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- Under What Conditions Does The State Consider My Vehicle A Lemon?
- Getting Your Vehicle Repaired
- Who Pays For The Repairs?
- How Long Should The Repair Attempt Process Take?
- How Do I Get A Refund Or Replacement From The Manufacturer?
- Can The Manufacturer Resell Or Re-Lease A Lemon Vehicle?
- What Is The Law On Odometer Rollbacks?
- What If My Problem Does Not Fit The Requirements Of My State's Lemon Law?
- Where Can I Get More Information?