What Do I Need To Do Before I Can Claim That My Car Is A Lemon?
- If you have taken the car in for at least three repair attemptsat least one of which occurred within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles for the same defect, and the defect continues to exist;
- Or, if the car has been out of service for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days, including at least one repair within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, while being repaired for any number of defects.
Via certified U.S. mail, return receipt requested, you need to provide written notification to the manufacturer (not your dealer) describing the vehicle, the defect(s), and all previous attempts to correct the defect. In this notification, you need to request that the manufacturer make a final attempt to repair the condition. Be sure to include your name, address, day and evening contact information, the license number and model type of your vehicle, and the date and location purchased.
The manufacturer then has 7 calendar days from receipt of your notice to notify you of a reasonably accessible repair facility, and then 14 calendar days after delivery of your vehicle to the repair facility to make this repair.
Speak to an Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified lemon lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local lemon attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Lemon Law Articles
- What Vehicles Are Covered Under The Lemon Law?
- What Is The Lemon Law Term Of Protection?
- What If My Problem Does Not Fit The Requirements Of My State's Lemon Law?
- What Are My Options For Action Under The Lemon Law?
- What Are The Possible Outcomes?
- Does The Manufacturer Have To Tell Potential Purchasers Of The Car That It Was Deemed A Lemon?
- Does The State Of Alabama Have A Used Car Lemon Law?
- Where Can I Get More Information About The Lemon Law?