What Documentation Must Be Presented With An Application For Adoption?
- an affidavit from the applicant which includes the applicant's name, age, address and marital status;
- the birth certificate or registration of live birth of the child;
- the order of permanent guardianship or the voluntary surrender of guardianship agreement;
- the consent of the natural parent(s) or permanent guardian of the child or any order dispensing with any consent;
- the consent of a child over 12 years of age;
- certification by the director that no notice of application under The Family Maintenance Act for declaration that a man be declared to be the father of the child was served on the director within 21 days after the signing of a voluntary surrender of guardianship agreement under The Child and Family Services Act;
- a copy of the placement agreement between a prospective adoptive parent and a child and family services agency;
- a report, from a child and family services agency, which includes:
- the family and developmental history of the child, identified by adoptive name and birth registration number only;
- a summary of the homestudy conducted by the child and family services agency; and
- the recommendation of the child and family services agency;
- a home assessment report respecting:
and, where applicable,
- the marriage certificate of married applicants or the prescribed declaration of commitment of the cohabiting couple;
- the authorization of the child and family services agency, where it extended or reduced the time for the making of the application;
- decree nisi and decree absolute of divorce or divorce judgment and certificate of divorce;
- death certificate of the applicant's spouse;
- proof of notification of the birth father.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Adoption Articles
- Is Consent Of The Natural Parents Required?
- Can A Consent Be Withdrawn?
- When Would Consent Of The Child Be Required?
- What Notification Is Required When A Child Is Placed For Adoption?
- When May An Application For Adoption Be Made?
- What Is The Effect Of An Adoption Order?
- Would A Person Be Able To Find His Natural Birth Parents Or Brothers Or Sisters?
- Can One Adopt An Adult Or Married Minor?